How a Ugandan Trader Tried To Sell Me Uhuru’s UNGA at Ksh120, And Why the Deal Did Not Go Through.

Govt Of Kenya Branded maize flour 
Sunday is the worst day to go around searching for Unga in Kenya, especially now that the most common foodstuff has been scaling greater heights in terms of pricing. 

So, I was one of the people who queued for maize flour at a certain shop waiting for a turn to be served. The shop keeper was a mean looking fellow with a sneering kind of attitude towards people.

My first instinct told me to walk away but another idea popped up to stop me from leaving until I have gotten what I went there for.

Anyway, when it was my time to be served, I asked for Unga (2 kg) and gave the fellow a Ksh100 expecting my 10bob back. Instead, the guy laughed and dropped the money into my hand open hand. I was like ‘what is wrong with my money?’  The guy did not say anything. He pushed me aside and went on to another customer. That was when I realized that he was charging more than the stipulated price. The large packet of maize flour was no longer trading at Ksh90 but it was Ksh120. Well, I left without a word.

I went around from one shop to another looking for this food stuff but to no avail.
Okay, I gave up the chase and returned to my foe to try another time. This time I was armed with Ksh120, just as he wanted. Desperate measures!

Oops! He spoke to his assistants in a language that can only be linked to Ugandan nationals staying in Kenya. Maybe he thought I do not understand the language. Fortunately, the same language is slightly different from my mother tongue, and I do understand every bit of it.

When I gave him the money and asked for Unga, he sneered again and told me to buy any other item in the shop--- maize flour can not be sold as a solo item, it has to be accompanied by something else.

Well, I thought he was playing with my mind. But he made it clear when he told his guys to make me leave. Then he said these in his language, “These Luos are so stupid, I wonder who will teach them to understand the law of scarcity, price fluctuation, and demand.”

Then I answered him in my language, “Okay, so this is the reason you are exploiting these people. You wanna teach them the law of demand and supply? For your information, I am not a Luo and don’t hide behind your language to talk ill about your customers.

I looked around in his shop for a trading license but I could not see any. It was time to exploit his weakness. I asked for where he has hidden his license. Of course, he did not have a say other than to say he does not need one to run a business in the country. “Kenya is a free nation and don’t lecture me about documents that have no value in this country. Money talks and I am sure you as well know better that blah blah blah you are saying to me.”

“Oh, even a Mganda is daring me about the laws of our land…” He did not expect this. The surprise on his face was a sure way to show defeat.

Other people joined in. Some were murmuring incoherent stuff while other wanted to be heard.  The two shop assistants looked thunderstruck, waiting for their master for instructions. The man was tongue tight too. And only a flash of anger could be seen in his eyes.

With a good crowd blocking the doorways, the man had nothing to do other than to accept defeat.  
He was like, “What do you want then?”

“I wanted a packet of unga but you said I should have asked for it only when I had bought something else. Unga itself has gone up by 30bob. What else to you expect from me?” I left the shop when everyone else was waiting for his answer.

Guess what, I went to another shop and bought it at Ksh90.

It so sad to see a trader taking advantage of Unga scarcity, exploiting common mwananchi because we do not ask questions--- we just don’t like to argue about our rights. Stand up! Fight for what you believe in. Don’t go down without a fight

No comments:

Post a Comment

Wanna Add Something? Feel Free...

Featured Post

Oh, We Love Baba So Much That We Can't Question His Say~ But He Can Be Wrong!

The NASA Resist Team called For The Boycott of some Locals Products and Economic Sabotage  By now we know that three giants are dying...

Hot Blog Posts